Bunch of books I read in past year.
- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33516773-big-little-liesBias in Natural Language Processing @EMNLP 2020Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. A hard sci-fi story about humans finding a space craft and the preparation about the first encounter with alien intelligence.
- The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Swearing has never been better. It is a delightful read, and the plot, as well as the characters, are well flushed. However, I felt that the universe, which sounds super exciting, was never really explored in depth.
- The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive part 1 and 2) by Brandon Sanderson. The universe and magic are well fleshed out. The fight scenes play like a movie and has a large number of characters keeps the book interesting. However, by the third book, which I am currently reading, the plots start to feel repetitive. The conflicts in the character and the story arch feel too familiar.
- The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. A well thought out a deep political theory and commentary on society transformed into a dense sci-fi novel. This book would make you think about your surroundings and would force you to examine your own beliefs.
- Wheel of Time (Book 1 to 5) by Robert Jordan. I really wanted to like this series, but this got a bit too boring after 3-4 books. To its credit, it starts out really interesting. However, I left the series somewhere around book 6. I hope I will get back to it someday.